Tuesday 26 April 2011

Boo in Cambridge - St John's Chophouse

We've been so fortunate weather wise over the bank holiday weekend and on Easter Sunday a group of us head to King's Cross, hopped on a train and 45 minutes later arrived in sunny Cambridge.


The highlight was definitely a punt on the river sipping on ginger beer but the day was full of slow ambles soaking up the sights, though the colleges themselves were closed, the university buildings provided ample entertainment.

Having researched potential lunch spots it's clear that Cambridge is primarily a chain restaurant town, there are few local independent eateries and even fewer cuisines are represented. A subway is a pretty grim backdrop to the picturesque Magdalene Bridge for example.

A few Cambridge based food blogs I found spoke highly of The Cambridge Chophouse and we opted for sister restaurant The St John's Chophouse come lunchtime.

Their remit is classic British cuisine and that they do well. Nibs' roast beef was a fine example, much better than any I've tried in London.


My fisherman's pie was great too, all white fish in a cheesy sauce topped with creamy mash. I loved the side of greens, peas and broccoli all retaining a nice crunch.


The others in our party of 5 each tried the braised beef cheeks with mash and the same selection of vegetables. All plates were cleared.


We all had a drink, cider and spritzers all round, bread was served very swiftly without request and with tip (not included on the bill - such a refreshing change) we paid £20 a head. I must say the service was exemplary, really very sweet and we'd not booked in advance, rather turned up at lunchtime on what must have been a very busy day for them. Very impressed. I only wish they were closer so I could return and try their suet pudding of the day, or perhaps I'll return soon, I may well have fallen for the place.

The St John's Chophouse
21-24 Northampton Street,
Cambridge.
CB3 0AD

7/10

The Cambridge Chop House on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Mzungu said...

I'd say the Chop Houses are a cut above the norm in Cambridge.
I am looking forward to returning in the summer and enjoying a punt on the river. Punting in the middle of winter didn't look like fun, although the Japanese tourists looked like they were having fun.

Boo said...

We were very fortunate with the weather. Like you I'm not sure I'd fancy it in the winter but I can't think of a better way to spend a sunny bank holiday.