Monday 16 July 2012

Bánh Mì 11 @ Berwick Street Market

Street food has developed massively in London over recent years and there are now a multitude of options scattered around the city for those wanting to grab a quick bite, and not resort to the obligatory and Pret, Eat, blah, or, of course, linger longer.  The emergence and growth of food markets can only be a good thing, as with them they bring choice, (mostly) quality and freshness and they should be supported and celebrated. 


I've had a few lunchtime feasts from the Bánh Mì 11 stall on Berwick Street market but have only been compelled to write about it having finally had the chance to try their Fish Q variety last week.


On my previous visits, the catfish had always sold out so I'd only tried the pork or chicken Bánh mì.  Now I see why it's often a sell out, the turmeric and galangal marinade means plenty of juices for the bread to soak up and generous portions of extras, like coriander, peanuts, cucumber, carrot, spring onion, fresh green chillis and sriracha chilli sauce to taste, meant this really felt like a filling and well rounded lunch.  I took it back to my desk and dragged out the eating of it a long as possible.  At £6, the catfish is the priciest option, most costing around the £5 mark.  


I'd been slightly disappointed with previous choices, the Imperial BBQ Pork and the Cha Cha Chicken but this really excited me and makes me all the more sad to be leaving Soho at the end of this week.  A new job sees me relocating to Old Street.  However, I'm ecstatic to hear that there will imminently be a new Bánh Mì 11 operation, in an actual building with an expanded menu and it's going to be close to Old Street.  Woop.  Keep an eye on the locations page of the website for updates, it's rumoured to be opening anyday now.

Bánh Mì 11
Berwick Street Market
Soho, W1F 0PH
8/10

Bánhmì11 on Urbanspoon

No comments: